Renowned for its lush surroundings and beautiful beaches and sought after for its unspoiled natural beauty, Jupiter Island is the southern-most barrier island along Florida’s east coast. Widely recognized as one of the most affluent and discrete enclaves of the USA, its magnificent tree-lined streets and gated and hidden estates, some with breathtaking Atlantic and Intracoastal water views, provide seclusion, solitude and tranquility to the residents in a historic natural setting. Jupiter Island consists of approximately 1,643 acres (6.7 km²) of land, bound on the east by nine miles (14.5 km) of ocean frontage, on the west by the Intracoastal Waterway, the Jupiter Inlet to the south and the St. Lucie inlet to the north. One of Jupiter Island’s most surprising facets is its preservation of natural resources. In fact, after the residential development of secluded estates, the primary use of land is conservation/preservation. The few commercial land uses within the Town exist primarily to serve residents are mainly found around the Jupiter Island Club. With a permanent population of near 650 and a seasonal population of approximately 1,800, Jupiter Island’s exquisite real estate and promise of privacy has proven irresistible to its fair share of prominent residents - where the beauty of nature will always dominate the presence of man.
Jupiter Island History
The story of Jupiter Island is about land and the respect that the people living on that land have for it. The earliest people to populate the Island were the Ais and Seminole Indians. Like most of Florida, the first European explorers on the Island were the Spanish. A Spanish treasure fleet wrecked directly off the coast in 1715 spewing tons of silver and gold coins, some which still wash ashore to this very day. The real history of the Island began in the early 1800s, when land was plentiful and ownership of that land was the gateway to wealth. The Island’s history began with the onset of the age of land speculation in the “Jungle” of America – Florida. Jupiter Island was part of the Gomez Grant (a Royal Land Grand of roughly 12,000 acres surrounding the Loxahatchee and Indian Rivers), a grant from the King of Spain to Eusebio Gomez in 1815 as a reward for faithful service. The land later to become Jupiter Island was sold to Englishmen in 1821 with the intention of developing it as a pineapple plantation. In 1916, Scottsman Willaim Angas built a small hotel and three cottages. The complex – called The Island Inn – established Jupiter Island as a winter colony for northerners. In the 1920s, early speculators and developers planned to create an “East Coast Hollywood” in the Jupiter Island and Hobe Sound area. Their plans for the mainland parcel called for a Greek-style town named Picture City, which would be home to production companies, studios and other film-related businesses. With the land boom crash in 1926, these development ideas where soon abandoned. Today Jupiter Island is home to its fair share of the rich, famous and powerful.
Golf has had a long history on the Island. As early as the 1890s, the Scottish pineapple plantation owners played golf on the sand islands that now comprise the Jupiter Island Golf Club. The modern, nine-hole course was built in 1922, and the second nine holes were designed by landscape architect, Dick Webel. The project was completed in 1957
All listings featuring the BMLS logo are provided by Beaches MLS Inc. Copyright 2019 Beaches MLS. This information is not verified for authenticity or accuracy and is not guaranteed.
© 2019 Beaches Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Information sur l'inscription mise à jour le March 23rd, 2019 at 2:30am EDT.