Palm Beach Gardens
Palm Beach Gardens is a Signature City, conceived and designed in 1959 by John D. MacArthur. MacAthur envisioned a “garden city” just north of West Palm Beach, with the city streets lined with trees and flowers. Today Gardens encompasses 55.93 square miles and offers its over 50,000 residents a vibrant Florida lifestyle with lush, tropical ambiance, and over 30% of land mass dedicated to green space. Considered the golf capital of the world, Palm Beach Gardens is home to the headquarters of the PGA of America PGA National, with its five courses designed by Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, the Fazios and Karl Littenand). There are 12 golf courses within the cities limits, such as Ibis Golf & Country Club (three Nicklaus family-designed courses), Mirasol (two courses designed by Arthur Hills and Tom Fazio), and Old Palm (Raymond Floyd), to name a few. There is a thriving arts community here as Palm Beach Gardens is very supportive of art and cultural venues. The city adopted an Art in Public Places ordinance in 1989 and has amassed an eclectic collection of works.PGA Boulevard, the city’s main artery, is considered as the one of the trendiest shopping and dining destinations in Palm Beach County, offering everything from luxury shops in The Gardens Mall and at Downtown at the Gardens, to a growing number of hip upscale restaurants along PGA Commons, international boutiques, mixed-use developments, and nightlife. From golf course homes to an equestrian community, to the villas and estate homes of the cities many gated communities, Palm Beach Gardens offers a diverse selection of real estate. Palm Beach Gardens features many of the area’s most sought after private neighborhoods and gated communities, many with their own golf courses, fitness centers, restaurants, and clubhouses.
Palm Beach Gardens History
Palm Beach Gardens was conceived and designed by wealthy landowner and insurance magnate John D. MacArthur. Comprised of dairy cattle grazing land, swamp land and pine forests, Mr. MacArthur invested millions of dollars to create a Florida community with hundreds of waterways, rolling terrain, magnificent mature pine and shade trees, and rich foliage. MacArthur’s chosen name for the area originally was Palm Beach City, however, permission to use that name was denied. In keeping with his “garden city” plan, he decided to call the city Palm Beach Gardens. The city was incorporated as a "paper town" (meaning that it existed only on paper) in 1959. The 1960 Census recorded that the city officially had a population of one, apparently a squatter whom MacArthur had allowed to stay on his property. In 1964, MacArthur heard that the Professional Golfers Association (PGA) was looking to relocate its home offices and golf courses; he donated more than $2 million to the project. City growth was slow but steady throughout the 1970s and 1980s, as the population has still not reached the predicted 55,000 people envisioned by MacArthur. However, the opening of the 1,300,000-square-foot (120,000 m2) Gardens Mall in 1988 initiated a new wave of development.
All listings featuring the BMLS logo are provided by Beaches MLS Inc. Copyright 2019 Beaches MLS. This information is not verified for authenticity or accuracy and is not guaranteed.
© 2019 Beaches Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Information sur l'inscription mise à jour le March 26th, 2019 at 12:30am EDT.